Hotel Raphael on Avenue Klebler in Paris will be the official TI/Hiss Squad HQ for this season's shows precisely because it is located between the Grand Palais and Palais de Tokyo. But here are the 10 other reason's why we love it so.
1. There's a real Turner in the lobby.
2. They serve coffee in silver coffeepots. No matter how humble your room.
3. The Bar Anglais is always filled with businessmen in retreat from La Defense, battle weary diplomats and nests of haute-bourgeoise housewives from the neighbourhood hissing away. Fascinating anthropology!
4. Serge Gainsbourg spent a part of that mis-spent youth here. How chic would that seance be!
5. The gym is so quaint, you expect to hear Oliver Newton John's "Let's Get Pysical" boom over the speakers.
6. Wes Anderson shot the prequel to "The Djarling Limited" on the premises. The fictional "Hotel Chevaliar" is every inch Hotel Raphael, right down to the end shot that pans over the lowrise skyline of the neigbouring houses.
7. PS. You're one avenue away from Avenue Foch. Veeery 70's !
8.The rooms were designed to cater to the 19th century French middle class that would sweep in for the 'season" with their cases upon cases of ballgowns that required specially built closets . For the modern traveler this means a rare treat: big rooms in a Paris hotel!
9. Flatscreens and wireless in each room= instant Hiss Squad updates the moment the hiss transpires.
10. Nicolas Ghesquiere retreated to a suite in this bastion of old money,16th arrondissement living while his 18th century apartment on the Left Bank was being renovated. That said, TI hopes Le Raphael never becomes "fashionable" but remain as quiet, private and discrete as it currently is.